Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Overdose in the arena, with the hockey stick..

I am not one to judge, or even be pissed off with what people do in their everyday lives. It is not my life, it is theirs and they can do what the hell they want with it. That being said, when one's daily life choices affect me (ie-make me have to work my ass off) then I will have no issue in becoming highly irritated with that specific individual.

I have to deal with the general public's life choices on a semi-regular basis, which (as I said above) doesn't usually bother me.

On a recent night I had to deal with a certain individual that had "over-indulged" on specific narcotic. I'm sure it was an accident and this person wasn't trying to get high...or intentionally hurt his or herself...no...just an absent minded little lamb, that took one to many pills... ...NOT!

This tard takes WAY-THE-HELL to many pills...or heroin (whoops) and decides to go and take in some of the local talent at the nearby hockey rink. So sometime during the first or second period, a hockey player notices "the drunk weirdo" at the back of the hockey rink "passed out".

Well passed out aint exactly the term but for arguments sake we will use that word.

"Drunk weirdo" had decided to conviently pass out and stop breathing in the furthest corner of the rink, while sporting the most articles of clothing a human being can possibly wear.

In my line of work...obivously i'll start by helping Chris* breathe while my counterparts cut off four pounds of clothes off so we can actually move Chirs* to a more suitable area of the arena.

We move Chris* and my partner is able to give him a drug (narcan) that usually helps in these hairy situations and almost completely revereses the effects of the Heroin, or oxycodone (which we have established is most likely taken of Chris'* own volition).

It is very interesting to see this drug work...it takes someone who either has intentionally or unintentionally overdosed on a narcotic from a totally unconcious-not breathing-state to a wide, awake, alert...almost enthusiastic state. It is really cool to see.

Long story short once the narcan takes affect, Chris* the hockey fan awakes only to find a ton of people gaulking. Chris* sits up, spits out some gum (that evidently Chris* was chewing during his stroll to the rink)...and says...."I didn't take anything I swear"...(insert eye-roll here).

After helping Chris* i'm truly amazed at how lucky I am to be able to help the public, how truly blessed I am to see people at their worst and help them to become their best and how truly NAIVE I am that I didn't even realise I was kneeling in piss and some other of Chris' bodily fludis the entire time.

Chris* and his crazy highjinks. I love my job!

1 comment:

Kathryn Halpie-poo said...

The best part of that post - by far - was the concluding sentence. Erin, reminds me of the "whopping" good old days... writing essays in your parents computer room.